Butternut Squash Pie Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Cut out scraps with a leaf-shaped cookie cutter for garnish if desired; place on a baking sheet and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Beat in the squash, butter, eggs, water and vanilla until smooth. Pour into crust.
- 3. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Bake leaf cutouts for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
- 4. Cool pie and cutouts on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate pie until chilled. Garnish with pastry leaves and whipped cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece (calculated without whipped cream) equals 406 calories, 20 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 200 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Butternut Squash Pie
"Such a great recipe! Honestly better than your average pumkin pie. I filled 2 9 inch pie tins though."
"This had a fantastic taste and custard texture. Instead of the 1 Tablespoon cinnamon, I did 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon each of nutmeg and ginger, and 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves. I will definitely make this again!! :-D"
"This is a GREAT pie! No one could even guess that it was butternut squash. I too added a little pumpkin spice. The taste and texture was wonderful. Take note that the recipe FILLS a normal pie plate. As a previous reviewer did, next time I may divide into two 8 in pies. Highly recommend this recipe."
"I was given an abundance of butternut squash and decided to try this pie. It is very good, nice and creamy. I did put in less sugar and only half the amount of water. The recipe filled two 8" pie shells. One to eat, one to share!"
"I personally thought this pie was too sweet, but that could be because I am eating healthier these days and don't have the same sweet tooth I used to have. The pie was very creamy."
"I forgot to rate this, sorry"
"I add a little pumpkin pie spice to my squash pies. I have been making squash pie for years, and I prefer them to pumpkin. They taste very similar. Yum Yum. I will add this recipe to my collection also. Thanks."