I have been making this pie for over 24 years for special occasions. It is so easy and the taste is wonderful. —Mary Ellen Solesbee, Greer, South Carolina
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Cut out scraps with a leaf-shaped cookie cutter for garnish if desired; place on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Beat in the squash, butter, eggs, water and vanilla until smooth. Pour into crust.
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Bake leaf cutouts for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool pie and cutouts on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate pie until chilled. Garnish with pastry leaves and whipped cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Butternut Squash Pie in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p133
Reviews for Butternut Squash Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review