Butternut Squash Pie Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Cut out scraps with a leaf-shaped cookie cutter for garnish if desired; place on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Beat in the squash, butter, eggs, water and vanilla until smooth. Pour into crust.
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Bake leaf cutouts for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool pie and cutouts on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate pie until chilled. Garnish with pastry leaves and whipped cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Butternut Squash Pie(4)
Sort By :
I was given an abundance of butternut squash and decided to try this pie. It is very good, nice and creamy. I did put in less sugar and only half the amount of water. The recipe filled two 8" pie shells. One to eat, one to share!
I personally thought this pie was too sweet, but that could be because I am eating healthier these days and don't have the same sweet tooth I used to have. The pie was very creamy.
I forgot to rate this, sorry
I add a little pumpkin pie spice to my squash pies. I have been making squash pie for years, and I prefer them to pumpkin. They taste very similar. Yum Yum. I will add this recipe to my collection also. Thanks.