- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Cut out scraps with a leaf-shaped cookie cutter for garnish if desired; place on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Beat in the squash, butter, eggs, water and vanilla until smooth. Pour into crust.
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Bake leaf cutouts for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool pie and cutouts on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate pie until chilled. Garnish with pastry leaves and whipped cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Butternut Squash Pie
"This had a fantastic taste and custard texture. Instead of the 1 Tablespoon cinnamon, I did 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon each of nutmeg and ginger, and 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves. I will definitely make this again!! :-D"
"This is a GREAT pie! No one could even guess that it was butternut squash. I too added a little pumpkin spice. The taste and texture was wonderful. Take note that the recipe FILLS a normal pie plate. As a previous reviewer did, next time I may divide into two 8 in pies. Highly recommend this recipe."
"I forgot to rate this, sorry"