Butternut Squash Nut Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/3 cups pureed winter squash
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- BROWN SUGAR FROSTING:
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition Beat in squash. (Mixture will appear curdled.) Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and cloves; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in pecans.
- 2. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until cake tests done. Cool in pan about 45 minutes.
- 3. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack. For frosting, combine the brown sugar, butter and cream in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- 4. Transfer to a large bowl; cool to lukewarm. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cake. Yield: 16-18 servings.
1 slice: 438 calories, 22g fat (11g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 338mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Butternut Squash Nut Cake
"Cake is wonderful - I made the caramel icing from TOH potato cake to lighten a bit. It was an excellent combination."