- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks.
- For frosting, in a heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, egg
- whites, water, cream of tartar and salt. With a portable mixer, beat
- on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until a
- thermometer reads 160°, about 8-10 minutes.
- Pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer; add vanilla. Beat on
- high speed until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Spread between
- layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 524 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 310 mg sodium, 92 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.