- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 3 cups cake flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- BROWN SUGAR FROSTING:
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs whites
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in squash and maple flavoring. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in walnuts. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- For frosting, in a heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, egg whites, water, cream of tartar and salt. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until a thermometer reads 160°, about 8-10 minutes.
- Pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer; add vanilla. Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Butternut Squash Layer Cake
Sort By :
"This recipe is a copy of one already on the internet and located at:http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Butternut-Squash-Layer-Cake.It is almost verbatim.I suggest that if you wish to offer a recipe to be published, it should be your own and not one copied off of the internet.I did make the cake and, by the way, it was delicious.A lot of calories though due to all of the sugar used."