Butternut Squash Dressing Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen cooked winter squash, thawed
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 package (6 ounces) corn bread stuffing mix, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in the squash, soup, water chestnuts and sour cream. Stir in 1-1/2 cups stuffing mix.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining stuffing mix; drizzle with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through and top is golden brown. This dressing is best served as a side dish, rather than stuffed into poultry. Yield: 5 cups.
3/4 cup: 358 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 979mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Butternut Squash Dressing
"I wanted to try this recipe as I had a couple of packages of frozen cooked butternut squash on hand! I also had cream of chicken soup and water chestnuts-also 5.3-oz. cartons of unflavored plain yogurt available. I did purchase the cornbread stuffing mix! I decided not to saut? the onion, but just added it to the squash, which I'd cooked per instructions in my microwave oven, and I added a 5.3-oz. carton of plain unflavored yogurt, 3/4 tsp. salt,1/4 tsp. pepper, the cream of chicken soup, drained and chopped water chestnuts, 1-1/2 cups of the corn bread stuffing. I melted 3 Tbsp. margarine since I had that available and transferred squash mixture to a 12x6-1/2" greased loaf pan (sprayed with PAM cooking spray). I topped squash mixture with remaining stuffing mix and drizzled with the melted margarine. I baked dressing for 35 minutes at 350o F. on a foil-lined 15x10x1" baking pan. I'm looking forward to tasting this dressing! Thank you for sharing with Taste of Home! delowenstein"