I became a confirmed squash lover when I sampled this dish at a friend's house more than 20 years ago. The blend of creamy squash and crunchy stuffing makes it a favorite.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen cooked winter squash, thawed
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 package (6 ounces) corn bread stuffing mix, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in the squash, soup, water chestnuts and sour cream. Stir in 1-1/2 cups stuffing mix.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining stuffing mix; drizzle with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through and top is golden brown. This dressing is best served as a side dish, rather than stuffed into poultry. Yield: 5 cups.
Originally published as Butternut Squash Dressing in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p124
Reviews for Butternut Squash Dressing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review