Butternut Squash Doughnuts
My mother and I used to make several batches of these cake doughnuts at a time. They're not only different, they're delicious, too!
24 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 20 min.
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup mashed cooked butternut or winter squash of your choice
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar or additional sugar, optional
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, squash, buttermilk, butter and
- vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; add to squash mixture and mix
- well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours (dough will be very soft).
- Turn onto a heavily floured surface; roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut
- with a 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter. In an electric skillet or deep-fat