- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup mashed cooked butternut or winter squash of your choice
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar or additional sugar, optional
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, squash, buttermilk, butter and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; add to squash mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours (dough will be very soft).
- Turn onto a heavily floured surface; roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°.
- Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Dust with sugar if desired. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Butternut Squash Doughnuts in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2002, p12
Reviews for Butternut Squash Doughnuts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 31, 2011
"These were excellent and a huge hit with my family!!!!"
Reviewed Dec. 29, 2009
"I made these for Christmas brunch and they were a big hit."