Butternut Squash Dinner Rolls Recipe
These wholesome rolls are a pleasant addition to any entree. I get so many requests for them at holiday time. I make about 100 dozen in December. Retired from the restaurant business, I have 16 grandchildren.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. YIELD:60 servings
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon plus 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 10 to 11-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional butter
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 3/4 teaspoon sugar in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the milk, butter, squash, salt and remaining sugar; mix until smooth. Add wheat germ and 4 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- 2. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down and divide into thirds; divide each portion into 20 pieces. Shape into balls.
- 3. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 5 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC