Butternut Squash Dinner Rolls Recipe
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon plus 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 10 to 11-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional butter
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 3/4 teaspoon sugar in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the milk, butter, squash, salt and remaining sugar; mix until smooth. Add wheat germ and 4 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- 2. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down and divide into thirds; divide each portion into 20 pieces. Shape into balls.
- 3. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 5 dozen.
1 each: 107 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Butternut Squash Dinner Rolls
"Have made these at least a half dozen times. They are delicious! They make a huge batch that can be frozen and enjoyed at a later date. Totally worth the effort."
"These are delicious! I have made them several times and they are eaten up quickly without fail. I use a little less sugar which doesn't seem to affect the taste at all. My kids love these!"
"These are really good. I added a pinch each of cinnimon, nutmeg, cardamon and clove to spice it up a bit."
"I little sweet, but still yummy."
"Even my kids say yum! What a great way to get them to eat Squash without fail"
"These are a hit for my family! Everyone loves them. I love being able to make a bunch and freeze them for those days I don't have time to bake. You will not be dissappointed with these rolls!"
"These are definitely 5 star rolls!!! I have made them for Thanksgiving and other special dinners for the last several years! They are the BEST. They also freeze very well."