Butternut Squash Dinner Rolls
These wholesome rolls are a pleasant addition to any entree. I get so many requests for them at holiday time. I make about 100 dozen in December. Retired from the restaurant business, I have 16 grandchildren.
60 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon plus 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 10 to 11-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Additional butter
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 3/4 teaspoon sugar in warm water;
- let stand for 5 minutes. Add the milk, butter, squash, salt and
- remaining sugar; mix until smooth. Add wheat germ and 4 cups flour;
- beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft
- dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic,
- about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let
- rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down
- and divide into thirds; divide each portion into 20 pieces. Shape
- into balls.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled,