This casserole is very versatile! It can be served hot today and cold tomorrow, as a main dish for meatless meals or as a side dish for a dinner party. Any way you serve it, it's scrumptious!
- 5 cups shredded peeled butternut squash
- Juice and grated peel of 1 lemon
- 1 cup raisins
- 6 to 8 dried apricots, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 medium apple, cubed
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, toss squash with lemon juice and peel. Place half in the bottom of a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the raisins, apricots and apple; sprinkle over squash. In a small bowl, combine the cheese,egg, yogurt, cinnamon and nutmeg; spread over fruit mixture. Cover with remaining squash. Sprinkle with nuts.
- Cover with foil. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Butternut Squash Casserole in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p22
Reviews for Butternut Squash Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review