Butternut Squash Casserole Recipe
- 2 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place squash in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-16 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a small bowl, beat squash until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients; beat well. Spoon into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer inserted near the center reads 160°. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Butternut Squash Casserole(10)
Sort By :
I've been making this every Thanksgiving since TOH gave the recipe a few years ago. It is delicious however...I do not use the cinnamon or nutmeg. I made it with them the first year and it didn't taste all that great. Several people said, "It would probably be good without the cinnamon and nutmeg." So the next year I made it without them and I only use 1/2 tsp of vanilla (1 tsp is too sweet...even for a sweet lover like me) and it's been a huge hit every since. I do not bother to peel the squash or cut it into chunks. I just cut it in half, remove the seeds and steam it and then scoop it out when it's cool. You're just going to mash it so why bother taking the time to peel and cube it?
Its good but its sweet!... probally wouldn't serve it with the meat loaf next time unless it was for dessert.
I added bit of instant potato flakes to make my squash less runny and topped it with chopped pecans. It seems more like a dessert than a side dish. I will make this again!
made for thanksgiving,,very good..doubled recipe (used alittle less sugar,maybe 3/4 cup, because I doubled) plenty sweet enough..
This is fantastic - it almost competes with pumpkin pie!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Butternut Squash Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Halloween Party Recipes >
- Halloween Recipes >
- Halloween Side Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Low Sodium Side Dishes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Squash Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Side Dish Recipes >