Butternut Squash Casserole Recipe
- 5 cups shredded peeled butternut squash
- Juice and grated peel of 1 lemon
- 1 cup raisins
- 6 to 8 dried apricots, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 medium apple, cubed
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts
- In a large bowl, toss squash with lemon juice and peel. Place half in the bottom of a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the raisins, apricots and apple; sprinkle over squash. In a small bowl, combine the cheese,egg, yogurt, cinnamon and nutmeg; spread over fruit mixture. Cover with remaining squash. Sprinkle with nuts.
- Cover with foil. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Butternut Squash Casserole(2)
Sort By :
I am not a lover of squash, but I've been trying to expand my tastebud horizons. This recipe looked interesting, so I tried it. Man, am I glad I did! This recipe is EXCELLENT! The combination of the fruits and spices with the ricotta is just perfect. My husband even liked it, which is saying something. I didn't alter the recipe at all...next time I would maybe add some garlic salt (just a tad). Thanks so much for the recipe!
This casserole is very delicious! I think it is excellent, but I gave it four stars based on the fact that the texture can be interesting and some people don't care for it. I personally loved it.
I made it as a side for a Shabbat supper, had some guests over, and one of them was a professional chef. He thought it was very good. The only thing we all agreed on was that it needed just a little brown sugar to sweeten it up just a bit. Next time, I am going to try cubing the squash (small cubes) and extending the time in the oven about 10 minutes and see if I like the texture better. Overall, I loved the mixture of the squash paired with the sweet fruit and the bite of the ricotta. Loved it, and it was gone the next day when I served the leftovers cold at a potluck! I highly recommend this. It would be a great Thanksgiving side! Great recipe.