Butternut Squash Cake Roll Recipe
Elizabeth Nelson of Manning, North Dakota is sweet on squash! Her pretty dessert is perfect for an autumn special occasion.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup mashed cooked butternut squash
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease and flour the paper and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat eggs for 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar; beat for 2 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Stir in squash. Combine the flour, baking soda and cinnamon ingredients; fold into squash mixture. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- 4. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 5. In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Just before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC