- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/4 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add squash, milk, eggs, butter, sugar and salt; mix well. Gradually add 3-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into three loaves; place in greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until tops are golden. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 3 loaves.
Reviews for Butternut Squash Bread
Sort By :
"Soft and delicious!"
"My family just loves this bread! It has a beautiful pale orange color and the squash makes it so moist."
"This bread is such a pretty color. People who don't like squash can't even tell that the squash is what gives it the wonderful flavor. I may make it for Thanksgiving this year for a change of pace. A real treat."
"Brush loaves with butter while warm from oven for a prettier loaf. I made 2 loaves of bread and a pan of biscuits. Really a pretty yellow for fall enjoyment !"
"Great recipe, easy, good texture & a picky child loved the yellow taste !"