Butternut Squash Bisque Recipe
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups), divided
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 cup sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1. In a roasting pan, toss 3 cups of squash, orange juice and brown sugar; add cinnamon. Cover and bake at 450° for 30-40 minutes or until squash is tender. Discard cinnamon; drain squash, reserving cooking liquid. Set squash and liquid aside.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, saute the leeks, apple and onion in butter until tender. Add broth; bring to a boil. Stir in cooked squash; cook for 5 minutes. Add the cream, salt and pepper; heat through. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan; heat through (do not boil).
- 4. Cut remaining squash into 1/4-in. cubes. In a large skillet, saute squash cubes in oil and reserved cooking liquid until squash is tender and liquid has evaporated. Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with squash cubes. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 279 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 715 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Butternut Squash Bisque
"I hope this person who made this doesn't quit their day job. This was pathetic!"
"Was very bland....made my family sick to stomach....yuk!!"
"I used squash that was already cooked, so at first I sauted it with the apple and onions (I didn't have any leeks), adding the orange juice and some powder cinnamon. I also used evaporated milk instead of whipping cream and a lot less butter to make it lighter. I also added some nutmeg at the end, it really complemented the taste. The recipe is great, I will be making it again."