Butternut Squash Bisque with Sour Cream Topping Recipe
I've served this wonderful soup to family as well as company. It's especially good to serve in the cooler fall months. – Kristin Arnett, Elkhorn, Wisconsin
- 3-1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- Sour cream and additional chives, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, toss the squash, carrots, apple, shallots and oil. Transfer to a large roasting pan.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 1 hour or until browned and tender, stirring twice. Cool slightly. Place in a food processor; cover and process until almost smooth.
- 3. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook tomatoes over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the pureed vegetables, broth, cream, salt and cayenne; heat through (do not boil). Stir in corn and chives. Garnish servings with sour cream and chives if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 170 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 757 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC