- 3-1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- Sour cream and additional chives, optional
- In a large bowl, toss the squash, carrots, apple, shallots and oil. Transfer to a large roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 1 hour or until browned and tender, stirring twice. Cool slightly. Place in a food processor; cover and process until almost smooth.
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook tomatoes over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the pureed vegetables, broth, cream, salt and cayenne; heat through (do not boil). Stir in corn and chives. Garnish servings with sour cream and chives if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Butternut Squash Bisque with Sour Cream Topping
Sort By :
"Creamy with great flavor! Excellent fall meal."
"The carrots and tomatoe seamed to over power the almondy flavor of the butternut squash that I so love and have come to expect from butternut bisque."
"I've made this recipe several times and it does not disappoint! It requires a little more work than some, but IMO, is the quality that would be served in a fine restaurant. I don't make it too often, for fear of getting tired of it. Try it (and NO ALTERATIONS!!!)"
"My wife and I have both made this soup several times and made slight variations to the recipe, and have won praise every time"
"Excellent taste. I loved it."