Butternut Squash Bisque Recipe
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups), divided
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 cup sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a roasting pan, toss 3 cups of squash, orange juice and brown sugar; add cinnamon. Cover and bake at 450° for 30-40 minutes or until squash is tender. Discard cinnamon; drain squash, reserving cooking liquid. Set squash and liquid aside.
- In a Dutch oven, saute the leeks, apple and onion in butter until tender. Add broth; bring to a boil. Stir in cooked squash; cook for 5 minutes. Add the cream, salt and pepper; heat through. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan; heat through (do not boil).
- Cut remaining squash into 1/4-in. cubes. In a large skillet, saute squash cubes in oil and reserved cooking liquid until squash is tender and liquid has evaporated. Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with squash cubes. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Butternut Squash Bisque(3)
Sort By :
I hope this person who made this doesn't quit their day job. This was pathetic!
Was very bland....made my family sick to stomach....yuk!!
I used squash that was already cooked, so at first I sauted it with the apple and onions (I didn't have any leeks), adding the orange juice and some powder cinnamon. I also used evaporated milk instead of whipping cream and a lot less butter to make it lighter. I also added some nutmeg at the end, it really complemented the taste. The recipe is great, I will be making it again.