Butternut Squash Bake
If I ask our two girls (ages 7 and 14) what to fix for a special meal, this dish is always requested. I discovered this slightly sweet and crunchy-topped casserole at a church dinner about 10 years ago, and now I take it to potluck dinners and come home with an empty dish!
-Julie Jahn, Decatur, Indiana
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1/2 cup crisp rice cereal
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the
- eggs, milk and vanilla. Stir in squash (mixture will be thin).
- Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at
- 350° for 45 minutes or until almost set.
- In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over
- casserole. Return to the oven for 5-10 minutes or until bubbly.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 291 calories, 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 160 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.