Butternut Squash Bake Recipe
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup crushed saltines (about 8 crackers)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Place squash in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until very tender. Drain well and place in a large bowl; mash squash.
- In another bowl, combine the mayonnaise, onion, egg, sugar, salt and pepper; add to the squash and mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Combine the cracker crumbs, cheese and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until heated through and top is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Butternut Squash Bake(12)
Sort By :
Have made this recipe several times. I saute my onion, use light mayo and the round buttery type of crackers for the top( have made with saltines but prefer the other).
This dish is awesome - i did sautee the onions which i'm sure is the best - they weren't crunchy nor were they to strong. However i got a few comments wondering what the dish was, although they all really liked it quite a few thought it was eggs! It definitely does not have a strong butternut squash flavor - if that's what your looking for.
Just made this recipe again for maybe the 10th time. Love it still. I did do 2 things differently. I sauteed the onions first and I omitted the sugar (by accident). Still good. I give out the recipe to friends so they can try it. It will be in my recipe box forever.
This is a great way to enjoy butternut squash! Decrease to 1/3 cup onions if you don't want a strong flavor in the dish. I substituted Ritz which added to the buttery flavor of the topping. Nice autumn side dish for a meal.
I love butternut squash and this recipe makes it even better tasting. I've been making it for about 10 yrs. I have even converted the local farmer(who hated this squash) when I made it for him and gave him the recipe. I have it cooking right now as I write this. I don't change a thing. Love it just as it is. Thanks. Eat this all year round if I could.