Butternut Squash Apple Crisp Recipe
"I had this recipe in my box for years before I finally tried it - and now we love it!" recalls Barbara Ellis from Bridgewater, Massachusetts. "It has become my son-in-law's favorite."
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1 pound)
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- OAT TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- Vanilla ice cream
- 1. Peel squash and cut in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Cut squash into thin slices. In a large bowl, combine the squash, apples, corn syrup and lemon juice; toss to coat. Combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt; stir into squash mixture.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the flour, oats and brown sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over squash mixture.
- 4. Bake 25 minutes longer or until squash and apples are tender and topping is lightly browned. Serve warm with ice cream. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 252 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 175 mg sodium, 63 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC