Butternut Squash and Sausage Soup Recipe
Soup comforts the soul and this creamy, healthy soup does nothing short of that. This makes a large pot and I love sharing it with others. --Jerilyn Korver, Altoona, Iowa
- 1 large butternut squash (4 to 4-1/2 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 fully cooked Italian chicken sausage links, chopped
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Corn bread croutons and additional yogurt, optional
- 1. Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 45-60 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly. Scoop out pulp; set aside.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, cook onion and apple in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the seasonings; cook until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add broth and squash; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Cool slightly. In a blender, cover and process soup in batches until smooth.
- 3. Return pureed mixture to pan; stir in sausage and carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- 4. Just before serving, stir in 2/3 cup yogurt, sage and vinegar. Serve with croutons and additional yogurt if desired. Yield: 8 servings (3-1/4 quarts).
1-1/2 cups (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 222 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 783 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 14 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC