- 1 large butternut squash (4 to 4-1/2 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 fully cooked Italian chicken sausage links, chopped
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Corn bread croutons and additional yogurt, optional
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 45-60 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly. Scoop out pulp; set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, cook onion and apple in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the seasonings; cook until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add broth and squash; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Cool slightly. In a blender, cover and process soup in batches until smooth.
- Return pureed mixture to pan; stir in sausage and carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Just before serving, stir in 2/3 cup yogurt, sage and vinegar. Serve with croutons and additional yogurt if desired. Yield: 8 servings (3-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Butternut Squash and Sausage Soup
Sort By :
I added four more sausages (and I should have added even more than that) for the meat lovers in the family. I think the sausage added to the soup's flavor. It wasn't a total hit with my company; in fact, if someone even slightly liked squash, they loved this recipe, but if they didn't like squash, forget it! This soup does have a very odd combination of flavors.
The soup was good, but since I don't eat meat I had to modify it very slightly--I left out the sausage and added a 1/2 teaspoon of liquid Hickory smoke. Believe me, you'll never miss the sausage, and it makes it more economical, too. Just put it in a soup mug and sip your way to contentment!
Great recipe! I love butternut squash but have never paired it with sausage before. Great combination. Definitely adding it to my favorites!
Great recipe, very yummy! Nice flavor. Hearty and healthy soup that my husband and son loved!
My husband and I both enjoyed this soup. It has good flavor consistency. It will go on my list of favorites!
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Butternut Squash Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- New Year's Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Soup Recipes >