Butternut Squash & Potato Mash
Some people like squash, some people like potatoes. Mash the two together and you've got true love. This is a great way to get kids to eat their veggies.—Jasmine Rose, Crystal Lake, Illinois
10 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 8 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 4 pounds)
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes (about 4 medium)
- 16 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place squash, potatoes and garlic in a Dutch oven; add water to
- cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 10-15 minutes
- or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a dry small skillet, toast sesame seeds and cumin over
- medium-low heat 3-4 minutes or until aromatic, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat.
- Drain squash mixture. Mash vegetables, adding cheese, butter, salt
- and pepper. Sprinkle with sesame seed mixture. Yield: 10 servings
- (3/4 cup each).
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 190 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 448 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber,