- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 medium pears, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Balsamic vinegar and snipped chives, optional
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 40-50 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly; scoop out pulp and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the curry, garlic, ginger and salt; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, pears and squash. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan; add cream and heat through. Top with balsamic vinegar and chives if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Butternut Squash & Pear Soup
"Love, love, love this soup. I added a dash of cinnamon to each serving and lightly stirred to create a swirling effect....If you want to make an impression on your next dinner party, make this as your first course...everyone will want the recipe!"
"Outstanding!!! One of our favorite soups. I use 1/2 & 1/2 instead of the cream."
"THIS IS THE BEST SOUP. I have shared this soup and recipe with SO many. EVERYONE LOVES IT!!! Thank you."
"Absolutely amazing! The pears and butternut squash merry very well!"
"This soup was FANTASTIC! I didn't have fresh ginger on hand either so I used dried. I have to say, the balsamic is an excellent touch."
"This soup is awesome! I used only half the curry because I'm not a big curry fan. You must do the balsamic drizzle to really take this soup from ordinary to extraordinary however. With the drizzle and the chives it becomes world-class."
"Made the recipe according to directions...omitted the balsamic & chives. Creamy texture was fabulous. shared the recipe and samples with four friends. All said they LOVED IT! They shared the recipe too! must try recipe."
"Holy cow, this soup is amazing. I took it to a soup potluck and it was cleaned out quick! I didn't have fresh ginger on hand so just omitted it and it was still great."
"I love this soup!"
"This is one of my favorite soups! Absolutely Yummy!"