- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 medium pears, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Balsamic vinegar and snipped chives, optional
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 40-50 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly; scoop out pulp and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the curry, garlic, ginger and salt; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, pears and squash. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan; add cream and heat through. Top with balsamic vinegar and chives if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Butternut Squash & Pear Soup
"Love, love, love this soup. I added a dash of cinnamon to each serving and lightly stirred to create a swirling effect....If you want to make an impression on your next dinner party, make this as your first course...everyone will want the recipe!"
"Outstanding!!! One of our favorite soups. I use 1/2 & 1/2 instead of the cream."
"THIS IS THE BEST SOUP. I have shared this soup and recipe with SO many. EVERYONE LOVES IT!!! Thank you."
"Absolutely amazing! The pears and butternut squash merry very well!"
"This soup was FANTASTIC! I didn't have fresh ginger on hand either so I used dried. I have to say, the balsamic is an excellent touch."