Butternut Squash & Pear Soup Recipe
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 medium pears, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Balsamic vinegar and snipped chives, optional
- 1. Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 40-50 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly; scoop out pulp and set aside.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the curry, garlic, ginger and salt; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, pears and squash. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan; add cream and heat through. Top with balsamic vinegar and chives if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
3/4 cup: 190 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 527mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 7g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Butternut Squash & Pear Soup
"Outstanding!!! One of our favorite soups. I use 1/2 & 1/2 instead of the cream."
"Absolutely amazing! The pears and butternut squash merry very well!"
"This soup was FANTASTIC! I didn't have fresh ginger on hand either so I used dried. I have to say, the balsamic is an excellent touch."
"Made the recipe according to directions...omitted the balsamic & chives. Creamy texture was fabulous. shared the recipe and samples with four friends. All said they LOVED IT! They shared the recipe too! must try recipe."
"I love this soup!"
"This is one of my favorite soups! Absolutely Yummy!"
"I made this recipe and my family did not like it.We love butternut squash but this was not tasty."
"So easy...so yummy! Made ours with veggie broth and reduced fat milk...still great!"
"Loved this soup; I changed the whipping cream to fat-free half and half and it still was yummy!"
"This was simply delicious...the combo of flavors will surprise you- in a fantastic way!"
"Don't buy your groceries from memory I purchased Acorn Squash but it turned out good. Everyone at the pot luck loved it. I used 1/2 the curry and I'll try it next time with butternut!"
"It was awesome. I gave it to some of my neighbors everyone loved it. Simple to make and delicious."
"I followed all ingredients & directions except I left out the curry and used the fat free 1/2 & 1/2 and did not put the balsamic vinegar on. It turned out delicious."