Butternut Squash & Pear Soup Recipe
Pears give this harvest soup a pleasant sweetness and nice velvety finish, while curry and ginger provide delightful flavor. —Sarah C. Vasques, Milford, New Hampshire
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1-1/4 hours Cook: 45 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 medium pears, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Balsamic vinegar and snipped chives, optional
- 1. Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 40-50 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly; scoop out pulp and set aside.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the curry, garlic, ginger and salt; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, pears and squash. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan; add cream and heat through. Top with balsamic vinegar and chives if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
3/4 cup equals 190 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 527 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC