- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 medium pears, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Balsamic vinegar and snipped chives, optional
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 40-50 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly; scoop out pulp and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the curry, garlic, ginger and salt; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, pears and squash. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan; add cream and heat through. Top with balsamic vinegar and chives if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Butternut Squash & Pear Soup
Sort By :
Outstanding!!! One of our favorite soups. I use 1/2 & 1/2 instead of the cream.
THIS IS THE BEST SOUP. I have shared this soup and recipe with SO many. EVERYONE LOVES IT!!! Thank you.
Absolutely amazing! The pears and butternut squash merry very well!
This soup was FANTASTIC! I didn't have fresh ginger on hand either so I used dried. I have to say, the balsamic is an excellent touch.
This soup is awesome! I used only half the curry because I'm not a big curry fan. You must do the balsamic drizzle to really take this soup from ordinary to extraordinary however. With the drizzle and the chives it becomes world-class.
More Recipe Collections
- Butternut Squash Recipes >
- Cream Soups >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Soup Recipes >