- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, celery and sage in remaining oil
- until tender. Stir in the broth and squash. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Cool slightly.
- In a blender, puree soup in batches until smooth. Return to the pan;
- heat through.
- For croutons, in a small bowl, combine the cheese, oil, sage and
- garlic. Add bread cubes and spritz with cooking spray; toss to coat.
- Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 425° for 5-8 minutes or until golden brown, stirring
- occasionally. Sprinkle each serving of soup with croutons and
- additional cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup soup with 1/4 cup croutons equals 179 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 541 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.