Butternut Sausage Puff
Any brunch is extra-special when this hearty souffle is included. The thyme and sausage are perfect complements to the delicately sweet butternut squash.
Betty Humiston, Greenwich, New York
4-6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + cooling Bake: 45 min.
- 2 cups hot mashed butternut squash
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- Fresh thyme, optional
- In a bowl, combine squash, egg yolks, flour, parsley, butter, onion,
- lemon juice, thyme and salt; mix until well blended. Stir in the
- sausage. Cool for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into
- squash mixture. Pour into a greased and floured 2-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Garnish with thyme if
- desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 199 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 130 mg cholesterol, 327 mg sodium,