Any brunch is extra-special when this hearty souffle is included. The thyme and sausage are perfect complements to the delicately sweet butternut squash. —Betty Humiston, Greenwich, New York
- 2 cups hot mashed butternut squash
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- Fresh thyme, optional
- In a bowl, combine squash, egg yolks, flour, parsley, butter, onion, lemon juice, thyme and salt; mix until well blended. Stir in the sausage. Cool for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into squash mixture. Pour into a greased and floured 2-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Garnish with thyme if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Butternut Sausage Puff in Taste of Home August/September 1997, p27
Reviews for Butternut Sausage Puff
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 14, 2011
"this was okay, not my family's favorite egg dish but a nice difference to the usual egg dish fare."