Butternut Sausage Puff Recipe
Any brunch is extra-special when this hearty souffle is included. The thyme and sausage are perfect complements to the delicately sweet butternut squash. Betty Humiston, Greenwich, New York
- 2 cups hot mashed butternut squash
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- Fresh thyme, optional
- In a bowl, combine squash, egg yolks, flour, parsley, butter, onion, lemon juice, thyme and salt; mix until well blended. Stir in the sausage. Cool for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into squash mixture. Pour into a greased and floured 2-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Garnish with thyme if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Butternut Sausage Puff in Taste of Home August/September 1997, p27
Reviews for Butternut Sausage Puff(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 14, 2011
this was okay, not my family's favorite egg dish but a nice difference to the usual egg dish fare.