Try making this curry when the squash is coming fast and furious in your garden. It’s wonderful over rice and with crusty bread to soak up the tasty sauce.—Emilee Gettle, Mansfield, Missouri
Recommended: 30 Fall Harvest Salads
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 cups V8 juice
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- Fresh basil leaves, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onion and peppers in 1 tablespoon oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute squash in remaining oil for 5 minutes. Add the V8 juice, coconut milk, curry paste, bouillon, ginger, salt, cayenne and reserved onion mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until squash is tender. Serve with rice. Garnish with basil if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Butternut Curry in Country Woman February/March 2012, p14
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Butternut Curry
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review