Butternut Cream Pie Recipe
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold milk
- 1 package (5.1 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Whipped cream and toasted flaked coconut
- 1. Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a microwave-safe dish; add hot water. Cover and microwave for 13-15 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, scoop out pulp and mash. Set aside 1-1/2 cups squash (save remaining squash for another use).
- 2. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Stir in the squash until blended. Beat in the sugar, caramel topping, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves until blended.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk cold milk and pudding mix for two minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft set. Stir into squash mixture.
- 4. Spoon into pastry shell. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Garnish with whipped cream and coconut. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 384 calories, 18 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 622 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.