- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold milk
- 1 package (5.1 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Whipped cream and sweetened shredded coconut
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a microwave-safe dish; add hot water. Cover and microwave for 13-15 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, scoop out pulp and mash. Set aside 1-1/2 cups squash (save remaining squash for another use).
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Stir in the squash until blended. Beat in the sugar, caramel topping, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves until blended.
- In a small bowl, whisk cold milk and pudding mix for two minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft set. Stir into squash mixture.
- Spoon into pastry shell. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Garnish with whipped cream and coconut. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Butternut Cream Pie
"Wow. I'm sorry to disagree with the other reviewers, but I found this pie sickeningly sweet. My children wouldn't even eat it. I tried to salvage it...but ended up throwing it out. The taste could be alright if it wasn't overpowered with the sweetness."
"The reaction to this pie when it is served is enough to make anyone's day.I found it slightly difficult mixing the cream cheese together with the butternut squash, so I used my food processor, which worked!A+"
"Wonderful! Smoothe texture, well blended flavor. I lightened with sugar-free pudding, 1% milk, light prepared whipped topping, no-fat caramel topping --everyone asked for seconds."