I enjoy making up recipes and began experimenting with squash a couple years ago. Lase fall, my garden was loaded with squash, so I came up with this creamy pie. It really went over well at Thanksgiving dinner. -Sandra Kreuter Barney, California
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold milk
- 1 package (5.1 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Whipped cream and toasted flaked coconut
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a microwave-safe dish; add hot water. Cover and microwave for 13-15 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, scoop out pulp and mash. Set aside 1-1/2 cups squash (save remaining squash for another use).
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Stir in the squash until blended. Beat in the sugar, caramel topping, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves until blended.
- In a small bowl, whisk cold milk and pudding mix for two minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft set. Stir into squash mixture.
- Spoon into pastry shell. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Garnish with whipped cream and coconut. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Butternut Cream Pie in Taste of Home August/September 2004, p28
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Butternut Cream Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review