Butternut Coconut Curry Recipe
I love my slow cooker because it's so easy to make dinner with one! This flavorful curry was first created for a potluck and since then, the recipe has been requested often.—Jess Apfe, Berkeley, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Cook: 4 hours YIELD:9 servings
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2-1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup uncooked basmati or jasmine rice
- 1. In a large skillet, saute carrots and onion in oil until onion is tender. Add the brown sugar, curry, garlic, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 2. In a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the butternut squash, broth, coconut milk, rice and carrot mixture. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until rice is tender. Yield: 9 servings.
3/4 cup equals 200 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 312 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC