This recipe has been in our family for years. It's always included on holiday menus. Preparing the cake is a family project—the men crack the shells, and the children help pick out the nut meats.—Betty Zeltwanger, Canisteo, New York
15 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped butternuts or walnuts
- Frosting of your choice
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in
- eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and
- salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in
- nuts. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Frost cooled
- cake. Yield: 15 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 240 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 207 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.