Butternut Cake Recipe
This recipe has been in our family for years. It's always included on holiday menus. Preparing the cake is a family projectthe men crack the shells, and the children help pick out the nut meats.Betty Zeltwanger, Canisteo, New York
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped butternuts or walnuts
- Frosting of your choice
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in nuts. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Frost cooled cake. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Butternut Cake in Taste of Home August/September 1998, p57
Reviews for Butternut Cake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review