Butternut Bisque Recipe
A delicious dinner is even more memorable when I start with this creamy soup. It has a bit zip and super squash flavor. I like serving things that disappear like this soup does. I always get empty bowls back. — Marion Tipton, Phoenix, Arizona
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 6 cups)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute carrots, celery, leeks and jalapeno in butter for 10 minutes. Add the squash, broth and ginger; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until squash is tender, about 25 minutes.
- 2. Cool until lukewarm. In a blender or food processor, puree squash mixture in small batches until smooth; return to pan.
- 3. Add cream, salt and pepper; mix well. Heat through but do not boil. Garnish with pecans. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 191 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 439 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC