Butternut Bisque Recipe
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 6 cups)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a large saucepan, saute carrots, celery, leeks and jalapeno in butter for 10 minutes. Add the squash, broth and ginger; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until squash is tender, about 25 minutes.
- Cool until lukewarm. In a blender or food processor, puree squash mixture in small batches until smooth; return to pan.
- Add cream, salt and pepper; mix well. Heat through but do not boil. Garnish with pecans. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Butternut Bisque
Sort By :
"Very nice. I will make again but add more ginger. Janet"
"We have the issue this recipe first appeared in and refer to it frequently. We tried it after having a similar soup at Fresh Choice that we wanted to make at home. My four kids all love this, they call it pumpkin soup (because of the color) and often ask for it when they don't feel well. I have never used the jalapeno, but I would like to. I usually use onions instead of leeks just because I have them on hand. Sometimes we put in the half and half, sometimes we don't; we enjoy it either way. I do not cool it and process it in the blender, I use an immersion blender right in the pot - much faster and easier. Unfortunately, this soup doesn't last long around here, and with the size of pot I use, I would like to have some for another day!"
"I first made this years ago from the magazine, and continue to make it. The soup is delicious! I don't use the ginger, pecans or leeks, and sometimes leave out the celery, but include some choppedonions. I often make the soup and freeze it without the half and half. When I thaw it and heat to serve, I add the half and half at that time"
"The whole family loved this soup, I've given out this recipe many times. I don't add the jalapeno, however."
"I made this last night and I thought it was awesome."