Butternut Beef Stew Recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 celery rib with leaves, chopped
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides; drain. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the squash, cabbage, red pepper and celery.
- 2. In a blender, combine tomatoes and brown sugar. Cover and process until blended. Pour over vegetables. Combine the broth, adobo sauce, oregano, salt and pepper; add to slow cooker.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. If desired, thicken pan juices. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 377 calories, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 1,047 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.