Butternut Beef Stew Recipe
I tweaked this recipe I found in a magazine to suit my taste for sweet and spicy. I found that pureeing the tomatoes added a thicker consistency without using flour.Erin Lembke, Monroe, Washington
- 1-1/4 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 celery rib with leaves, chopped
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides; drain. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the squash, cabbage, red pepper and celery.
- In a blender, combine tomatoes and brown sugar. Cover and process until blended. Pour over vegetables. Combine the broth, adobo sauce, oregano, salt and pepper; add to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. If desired, thicken pan juices. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Butternut Beef Stew in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2008, p38
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Butternut Beef Stew(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Butternut Squash Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Beef Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew >
- Slow Cooker Cabbage >
- Slow Cooker Recipes >