Buttermilk Wheat Rolls Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups warm buttermilk (70° to 80°)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/4 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, optional
- 1. In bread machine pan, place the first 10 ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- 2. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and punch down. Divide into 24 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place on two greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Brush with butter if desired.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
One roll (prepared with 1% buttermilk and without butter) equals 96 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 177 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.