The recipe for these traditional waffles may seem plain, but the waffles are anything but! Everyone loves their extra-light texture and are delighted with their great taste.
7 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Fresh apricot slices, optional
- Mint leaves, optional
- In a bowl, combine dry ingredients. In another bowl, beat egg yolks.
- Add buttermilk, sour cream and oil; stir into dry ingredients just
- until combined. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into
- batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's
- directions until golden brown. Garnish with apricots and mint leaves
- if desired. Yield: 14-16 waffles (4 inches).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 373 calories, 22 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 109 mg cholesterol, 744 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.