Buttermilk Torte Recipe
- 3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1. Grease the bottom only of a 10-in. springform pan; set aside. In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1-1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Transfer to prepared pan.
- 2. Bake at 325° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven; increase heat to 375°.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form.
- 4. Spread evenly over warm cake, sealing edges to sides of pan. Sprinkle chips and coconut over the top. Bake for 15 minutes or until coconut and meringue are golden brown. Run a knife around edge of pan; remove sides. Cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 427 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 254mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Buttermilk Torte
"The "frosting" didnt do anything...stayed liquid. Tasted too much of cinnamon, too overwhelming. Just overall a waste of a lot of products."