Buttermilk Scones Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons raisins or dried currants
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon or orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the buttermilk, raisins and lemon peel until a soft dough forms.
- 2. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 5-6 times or until no longer sticky. On a lightly greased baking sheet, pat dough into a 5-in. circle about 3/4 in. thick. Score the top, making six wedges.
- 3. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over the top. Bake at 375° for 23-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Break into wedges. Serve warm. Yield: 6 scones.
1 each: 179 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 299mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein .
Reviews for Buttermilk Scones
"sounds pretty good...I would use mini chocolate chips in place of raisins..."