Buttermilk Scones Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons raisins or dried currants
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon or orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the buttermilk, raisins and lemon peel until a soft dough forms.
- 2. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 5-6 times or until no longer sticky. On a lightly greased baking sheet, pat dough into a 5-in. circle about 3/4 in. thick. Score the top, making six wedges.
- 3. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over the top. Bake at 375° for 23-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Break into wedges. Serve warm. Yield: 6 scones.
1 each: 179 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 299mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Buttermilk Scones
"sounds pretty good...I would use mini chocolate chips in place of raisins..."