Buttermilk Rosemary Muffins
These muffins have a delicate herb flavor that's special alongside any entree. Use fresh rosemary for the best flavor.—Debbi Smith, Crossett, Arkansas
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, rosemary, baking powder,
- salt and baking soda. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles
- coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened (mixture will
- be dry).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out to 1/2-in. thickness.
- Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 1 in. apart on a
- greased baking sheet. Brush with butter. Bake at 400° for 10-12
- minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 216 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 253 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.