- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm buttermilk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Beat in the buttermilk, oil, sugar, salt, baking soda and 2 cups of flour until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Divide into 18 pieces; roll into balls. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Buttermilk Rolls
Sort By :
"I made these as directed and they turned out great. The crusty outside was thin and easy to bite into and the inside was the perfect density and very soft. There was also a little more flavor than the average white roll."
"These were very good. They tasted like they were between a biscuit and a roll. Different. I buttered them on the outside when they came out of the oven."
"I made these for a Church function, they went fast and I got lots of raves from them. They were easy to make."
"My family loved these rolls!! I used whole wheat flour and they were delicious. I definitely plan to make them again."